
- Psychic Barber
Rick's Barber Shop - "Psychic Barber", 4845 California Ave SW, West Seattle. Originally located a few blocks south, Rick's Barber Shop was in a storefront next to a psychic. The psychic had a large neon sign reading "Psychic", with her phone number below, and when Rick added a neon sign of his own he matched the font, color, and size of his neighbor's. Side by side, in adjacent windows, they looked like "Psychic Barber" from the street. Eventually the psychic's business failed, and she simply stopped paying rent and abandoned everything in the shop. The landlord gave Rick the sign, and he relocated it (minus the phone number) above his own, so it now read "Psychic Barber" in a single window. It became a West Seattle landmark, with reporters always eager to retell the story or ask Rick for his forecast on major sporting events. Last year he moved to a new building. The window was too small for the original Psychic and Barber signs, so he mounted those on an inside wall instead, but got some new neon - red, white, and blue - for the window. Still in business, Rick's Barber Shop is temporarily closed due to the virus. There's a paper sign in the window apologizing that he didn't see this coming. - coyote
- That's Some Ceiling
5th Avenue Theatre entryway, Seattle - Rainier Tower From Not Very Far Away
- The Pine Box (Beer Inside)
The Pine Box - a Capitol Hill bar located in an old mortuary - Leinenkugels
- moon viewing
- Ark Lodge Cinema
Ark Lodge #126, Columbia City, Seattle; John L. McCauley, 1921. The facade is neoclassical, with four Ionic pilasters. At the top of the pediment, here obscured by the tree, is a Masonic square and compass, still intact. Below it, the lettering reads "Ark Lodge 126 F.& A.M.", or "Free and Accepted Masons". Seattle architect John L. McCauley (1879-1957), himself a Freemason, designed and built this meeting space in 1920-21 for the Ark Lodge #126 chapter. The upper story served as the Masons' assembly space, while the ground floor provided income for the chapter as retail spaces. From 1921 until the 1940s, the ground floor was occupied by the Heater Glove Factory, which made leather gloves and helmets; Charles Lindbergh wore a Heater helmet on his transatlantic flight. The Masons continued to meet here until 2002, when they sold the building, and it was converted to a cinema. The marquee was added and the second-floor assembly hall became a 204-seat auditorium. After additional remodeling, the building now contains four theatres. arklodgecinemas.com/ - May Thai, Wallingford
- Archie McPhee
- Chinatown Gate
Built 2007. - Immigration station
INS building in Seattle International District. - A Bridge to Fremont